Monday 5 August 2013

Book Review; Specials


Hi,
Another book review! Technically this means I've finished the Uglies series, apart from the companion novel which I will read soon. Yay for finishing series! So onto Specials, WARNING first though this will contain spoilers for both Pretties and Uglies but will be kept spoiler free for Specials.
Here's the cover I have;
So this book is probally my favorite in the series I think. It's so action packed and I loved Tally in this one. you learnt so much more about the world as a whole in this book.
So Tally has been turned into what she had always feared most ; a special. or more specifically, a part of the special circumstances called the cutters. They are different from other specials and they get their name from the fact that they cut themselves in order to feel 'icy' which is in theory the same thing as Pretties getting 'bubbly' but a little bit more intense. All the specials have like crematic bones and razer sharp teeth and a ring that can render people uncouncious and they are really bad ass agents. 
Thank you Scott Westerfeld for giving me the ending that I desired. Not giving anything away though.
I did hate that neither Zane nor David was really present in the book until they needed to be. and Tally never thinks of David EVER. I hate that about her because I Loved David the most and I really didn't like Zane. He just annoyed me. I think Tally really came to terms with the fact that she is the reason all of this is happening. for a comparison in the hunger games Katniss is aware all the time that she is the symbol of the rebellion, as soon as she starts to be it. she's the mockingjay and the girl on fire and she's very aware of what she needs to do as that symbol. Tally however is the reason all of this is happening and she didn't realise it until David spells it out for her. so she does stuff that is completely against what she should be doing for the smoke. I love how strong she is and that throughout this series she has just grown and grown and pushed herself out of whatever she's been put into. Like in Uglies she gets away from being an Ugly and becomes a Smokie. Then once she is turned into a Pretty she fights against being a bubblehead on her own and again gets back to the smoke and being a smokie for a little while. I won't reveal what happens in this book but she breaks out again. I really felt sorry for her though because I as a reader started to realise how much she has been put though at the hands of other people. She was turned into a pretty almost against her will, then she was again turned into a special against her will. She has a right to have an identity crisis when everytime she finds herself. herself is taken away and changed again. and although she always struggles to get back to it, she shouldn't have to do it. I loved the new city ( not sure if it's a spoiler); Diego. It really opened your eyes to the whole of the world rather than just Tally's town. Like how Tally's town is really the strictest and has the most rules against pretties and Uglies and how before I'd assumed every town has Specials but it's shown that Tally's town is the only that has them. I think the world building in this book was the best and Diego was very capitol esque, with crazy people getting surgury to look like they want with no restrictions. Tally got herself into a lot of trouble but I was really happy with the ending and I thought it'd be an ending I hated so Well Done Westerfeld. Video review will be recorded and edited and posted soon!;

Love,


No comments:

Post a Comment