Sunday 16 June 2013

Short Story Review ; Laura by E.H.James

Hello guys!
Well here's a first for everything I'm reviewing a short story! It was gifted to me by the author. It's an 11 pages (On the kindle anyway) and I've never actually read short stories before, I think this is the first one I've read. Here's the blurb thing :P

George had seen some pretty strange things over his lifetime, travelling those roads. But if he had thought he'd seen it all, he was sadly mistaken. For if he thought finding Laura alone, along some deserted roadside, in the middle of the night, was strange, then he had no idea that what was to follow would challenge the very boundaries of everything he'd ever known.
I thought this was really good, It was intriguing and left me wanting to know more which I think is good in a short story since it's not designed to give everything away. I found Laura strange and alluring at the same time, Like i wanted her to speak and to find out more about her but I was also weary of who she was. I didn't see the ending coming but I guess I should of as It is a paranormal story, but sometimes I'm an idiot and forget things. I think E.H.James gave a good sense of who George is even in the first few pages I felt like I knew him. I liked the ending especially although I started out a little confused and It could have been explored in a little more detail, but the ambiguous ending works well too since I am wondering what happens next for George. and this story is completely worth the 77p (not sure how much it is in dollars :P) that it costs.It is an amazing read and if it had been a novel I would have even paid a novel price to know more about George!
I think reading this will be the start of me reading more short stories, since I've always just assumed there wouldn't be enough entry into the story world for me to get into it, and have it be thought provoking which I always look for in reading material, but I thought this did it extremely well and opened my eyes a little.

Here's the link to the amazon page by the way!

Love,

No comments:

Post a Comment